ROTARY CLUB OF MORRIS
CONTRIBUTIONS THOUGH THE YEARS
The following is an abbreviated list of some of the service projects undertaken by the Morris Rotary over it’s 82 year history. The list is intended to show the diversity and spirit of the club.
1916 The lighting of Liberty Street.
1916 Established the first Boy Scout Troop in Grundy Co.
1920 Provided funding and led construction of Morris Community Swimming Pool.
1920 Sponsored first Grundy County Boy Scout Camp on the Fox River.
1926 Established the Morris Building and Loan.
1937 Instrumental in establishing the first Rainbow Council Boy Scout Camp and built Trading Post building at the camp.
1938 Sponsored Braidwood Rotary and assisted Wilmington Rotary organization.
1940 Sponsored Sandwich Rotary Club.
1942 Established Morris Youth Center (this was vital to the town during World War II)
1945 Participated in international clothing supply for war torn Europe.
1954 Helped to purchase site of current Morris Fire House (Raising $14,000)
1955 Funded the school milk program.
1955 Sent local high school singing group to international convention in Philadelphia.
1958 Participated in rebuilding of Morris Hospital, establishing and furnishing a Cleric Room.
1966 Established a record lending library at the Morris Public Library.
1974 Placed a color TV at the new Saratoga Towers senior housing center.
1974 Participated in construction and helped to fund the John Roth Lighted Ball Park.
1976 Began tradition of fund raising to support local charities including We Care, Illinois Valley Industries, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts.
1977 Directly exchanged students with sister city Tumut, Australia.
1977 Raised $10,800 toward building of intensive care unit at the Morris Community Hospital in John Roth, Sr. name.
1984 Began the “Pinch A Penny” resale store January 14, 1984.
1985 Participated international polio plus campaign to eliminate polio from the face of the earth contributing over $20,000.
1989 Council on Legislation opened Rotary to women, 2 years later Kandi Cossetto and Patricia Hibner became Morris’ first women members.
1989 Established scholarship fund to award scholarships to graduating high School students.
1993 Major influence on the beginning of the “No Tolerance Task Force” against gangs and drugs in our city.
1994 Established INTERACT service club at the Morris Community High School.
1995 Organized and sponsored the Morris area MS Walk.
1997 Built the picnic shelter for the Illinois Valley Industries
1947 Won “Club of the Year” under President Arthur V. Meadows.
1985 Won “Foundation Award” under President Ken Seidler.
1989 Won “Best Club Bulletin” under President Don Bixby.
1995 Won “Club of the Year” under President Chuck Johnson.