TO: BackPack Program coordinators & schools
FROM: Morris Rotary
SUBJECT: BackPack Program
Policy procedures for everyone who helps distribute BackPack product and all involved.
• To ensure that hungry students are identified, the BackPack Program will not start until mid to late Sept. To clarify, the first month of school is necessary for identifying the students who are showing signs of being hungry.
• New permission slips must be signed for each student referred to the program.
• NO FOOD is to be sent home to a child without a signed permission slip. Siblings must have a separate permission slip signed by parent or guardian.
• All permission slips shall remain at the school and not released to the public for Christmas baskets, family services, etc. Note: All distributing sites are subject to review bi-annually and permissions slips will be viewed by a representative at the scheduled visit. If food is stored at the school, that location will also be inspected.
• Each child MUST receive a bag at the end of each week regardless if it isn’t a full week.
• Family income is not considered a determining factor in the referral process. Referrals are based solely on hunger symptoms.
• It is not mandatory that the students be on free/reduced lunch to qualify. Determining how many students are to be served at each school is left up to the schools and BackPack coordinators.
• Evaluation sheets will be sent out to each participating student’s parents and to each school at least once during the year. Your cooperation is appreciated. This information is used in grant writing and other funding sources essential in keeping this program operational.
If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may contact Morris Rotary at the contact information above.
Thanks for making a difference!